Wednesday, April 20, 2011

USA 4X100 Freestyle Relay


At the 2008 Beijing Olympics we saw the emergence of many great athletes that now reign on top of the world. One of my favorite events at this Olympics took place during the swimming competition. It was the best swimming race that I've seen in my life, and I've been a swimmer since I was six. I've never been more excited over an olympic race, and I clearly remember yelling at my television for Jason Lezak to beat the Frenchman next to him. For those who are unfamiliar with this amazing race, I'll explain. After the first three legs of the relay had finished, the U.S. was second place by over two body-lengths with only one more person to catch up: Jason Lezak. He proceeded to draft off of the French swimmer he was up against  and waited until the turn to make his move. By drafting, Lezak had saved some of his energy and exploded off the last wall to begin the chase. Slowly but surely he inched closer and closer to the French swimmer who was also the world record holder in that event, and with five yards left in the race it was dead even. When his hand hit the wall, Jason was embraced by his relay team consisting of Michael Phelps, Garrett Weber-Gale, and Cullen Jones. The US had upset the French and received the Gold and a world record in the process.

http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/4x100-olympic-relay-full/ap-siprHc0hBONuIB0HxWw

No comments:

Post a Comment